Ice and Ice Cream

Prior to electric refrigerators, ice was an important commodity, and the “south pond” between 600 and 800 West on Forest Street (Watkins Park) was the best local source. The Watkins family delivered ice to local homes from a wagon.
In 1886, Alex Baird responded to the popularity of ice cream, making and selling the treat from a small frame building behind the Boothe Hotel. At a later date, William Craighead made and sold ice cream at his home on First South and Second West. In the early 1890s, James Knudson contracted with McMaster and Forsgren to erect the city’s first ice cream parlor on North Main Street. He purchased milk from his neighbors and carried it to his shop on his bicycle.1Lydia Walker Forsgren, History of Box Elder County, (Brigham City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1937), 87.

Notes

Search Brigham City Museum Collections

Add comment

Most popular

Most discussed