|name||John Davis Rees|
|office||Mayor of Brigham City|
|term_start||February 22, 1875|
|term_end||December 28, 1878|
Mayor Rees was in office when work resumed on the Box Elder Tabernacle after men returned from helping construct the transcontinental railroad. During his administration the first water tax was levied, the Brigham City Fire Department was organized, fire engines purchased and Fire Chief appointed. Rees had trees planted along Forest Street. He donated to the City the property now known as Pioneer Park. It was originally called Rees Park in honor of the donor. At the request of local Daughters of Utah Pioneers, the official name was later changed to Pioneer Park. Unofficially, though, the park has been referred to as “Rees Pioneer Park” through many generations, so that both the pioneer settlers and Mayor John D. Rees are remembered.
Leah Rees Reeder, a descendant, wrote about him: “John D. Rees was five feet nine inches in height, had a broad, well proportioned body, dark hair, laughing brown eyes, regular features, and such a genuine disposition that all pronounced him a handsome man.” Biographic Files, Brigham City Museum, nd.