|John Wesley Horsley
|Mayor of Brigham City
|January 2, 1934
|December 31, 1936
|Lorenzo W. Anderson
|Roy T. Shaw
During his first year as Mayor, Horsley and the City Council converted Smith Square at 2nd West and Forest Street to a City Park which they named Brigham Young Memorial Park in honor of Brigham Young who had given an address at the site shortly before his death.
Authorization was given to build two Civilian Conservations Corps camps in the County – one in Willard and one in Brigham City. The camps were established by Oct. 1, 1934. Several new buildings were constructed during Horsley’s first term. Dr. A.D. Cooley announced his plans to erect a hospital on 1st East. The school district began building a gymnasium north of Box Elder High School, and DeForrest Page, proprietor of the Pastime Billiard Hall, reported his plan to construct a new building for his business.
To help those hardest hit by the Depression, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration sold soup in Box Elder High School’s kitchen at a very small cost. Proprietors of local restaurants, however, complained to the City Council that this was unfair competition and asked that the agency be prevented from selling soup.
Mayor Horsley was elected to a second two-year term, but one year after his second term began, Mayor Horsley submitted his resignation to accept the post of Brigham City Judge.