C. LeGrande Horsley

“Infobox officeholder”
honorific-prefix
name Clarence LeGrande Horsley
native_name
native_name_lang
honorific-suffix
image
imagesize
smallimage
alt
caption
order 30th
office Mayor of Brigham City
term_start January 4, 1954
term_end January 6, 1958
constituency
majority
predecessor Lorenzo J. Bott
successor Ruel M. Eskelsen
prior_term

Three days after Mayor Horsley’s inauguration, he approved $21,000 for Fife Construction to install a new pipeline. In a bond election in February 1955, voters approved a $500,000 bond issue to improve and enlarge the sewage plant and system. During Horsley’s administration, a new supermarket was built on Main Street between Forest Street and 1st North, and Mountain States Telephone Company built a telephone exchange on the corner of 2nd South and 1st East.
During Horsley’s last year in office, Thiokol Chemical Corporation established its Wasatch Division in northwestern Box Elder County to produce solid-fuel booster motors for the Space Shuttle Program. This industry was the largest manufacturing enterprise in the county’s history. The company started with 150 employees and expected to hire thousands more over the next few years. Thiokol gave a boost to the local economy from the beginning of its construction. Contractors began building new subdivisions, and downtown businesses flourished as new people moved to town.
In the November 1957 election, voters approved building a new outdoor swimming pool at Pioneer Park at a cost of $100,000, and construction on the facility began.

Notes


Search Brigham City Museum Collections
: Government
: Book

Add comment