Bott Monument

The Grist Mill later housed another long term family business. In August, 1892, the Box Elder Marble and Granite Works, with John H. Bott as proprietor, purchased the old flour mill and rebuilt it for stone-cutting. The company had been in existence since 1877 and had quarries near Brigham City. In July 1891, they were working the marble and slate quarry north of Brigham City and also a nearby sandstone quarry.Olive H. Kotter, “Brigham City to 1900,” Through the Years, (Brigham City: Brigham City Eighth Ward, 1953), 15-16. The company later became John. H. Bott and Sons and one of his three families also lived on the premises. With a fourth generation in charge, Bott Monument is still in operation in 2014, although its retail operation has moved to Main Street due to a fire at the historic mill.

Notes


Search Brigham City Museum Collections
:Business

Add comment

Most popular

Most discussed